Leave No Trace
- Never let it hit the ground and clean as you go. MOOP attracts more MOOP. When you see trash on the ground in BRC, pick it up and take it with you – you won’t see it later as layers of dust accumulate.
- Weight it down. Put a weight on or tie down anything in your camp that can blow away.
- Smokers: Carry a portable ashtray (such as a mint tin) with you at all times, or put butts in your pocket. NEVER, EVER drop butts on the playa or in public areas like the Café or porta-potties. Help keep cigarette butts from being one of the top MOOP items!
- If it wasn’t made by your body, don’t put it in the potty. No tampons, trash, cigarette butts, etc. One-ply toilet paper ONLY.
- Protect the playa surface. Use a tarp or drop cloth under all firewood, construction areas, kitchens and other areas with small and potentially loose materials. Put weighted cardboard, a pan, or secured tarp under your vehicle to catch any fluids that may leak onto the playa.
- Bring your own mug to the Center Camp Café for coffee and tea. If you bring your own bottled or canned beverages to the Café, please take the drink containers back to your camp or visit Recycle Camp where you can recycle your aluminum cans. There are no trash cans provided in BRC, including the Café.
- Do not dump grey water onto the playa. See the Burning Man website for collection, treatment, and disposal alternatives, and page 19 for places to take your grey water after the event.
- Make a MOOP bucket. Cut a 3” hole in the top of an empty plastic water jug, leaving the handle intact, to use for collecting and containing MOOP. For dust that has glass, wood chips, bark or anything too small to pick up, sweep it into a dust pan and deposit in a bucket for disposal at home.
- Carry a MOOP bag. Wherever you go, carry a small bag to collect any MOOP you find on playa. Some even customize their MOOP bags to make them a part of their daily playa wear.
- Burn Barrel Ashes. If you plan to use a burn barrel, bring a shovel and metal containers to scoop up and remove any ashes.